Monday, October 5, 2009

Is your Child an Artist?



Do you do art? - Part 3 of 6 - Is your child an artist! - This is the first of a series of interviews with real home school moms on how they integrate art into their week?

As parents we can get caught in the trap of trying to fit our children into a mold. This mold is established in our subconscious through our experiences and education. We all know our children need reading, writing and arithmetic, why, because that is how we were taught.

We are home schooling our children for a reason. We believe the system (public school) is broken and we want a better education for our children. We must be careful not to turn our home school days into a carbon copy of a public school class.

Home schooling give us a wonderful opportunity to give our children exposure to many different things. Through this opportunity we can better understand the special gifts, talents and passions God has given our children and help to mold their education to prepare them to live a life doing what God made them to do.


Is your child and artist? A friend of mine posted a wonderful blog about his appreciation for his mother. Here is a little taste.


"Today, is my mother’s 72nd birthday. I woke up this morning thinking about how great she was when I was a kid.
When I was about five a friend of my parents, Ruth Holmstrom, a home-ec teacher, was over for dinner with her husband Chuck. Mrs. Holmstrom pulled me aside and showed me how to draw a swan starting with the number 2. She told my mother that I had some artistic ability, and within a few weeks mom enrolled me in an after-school art class.
I took about 10 years of private art lessons at the encouragement of my mother. She was always gracious when I came in and asked if I could try something new, not thinking about the expense of new supplies and what a burden it may have been.
As the “art” years added up I came to realize that I didn’t have the talent or drive to flourish as a studio artist, and one day when turning in illustrations for my freshman school yearbook the teacher asked if I would get some pictures of the homecoming parade. I rushed in and rummaged around, then asked my mother where the camera was (it was a weird Minolta 110 camera with a zoom lens). I was hooked! I could be creative and “capture” a moment for everyone to see for all time"

You can read the rest of the post here. John Faught's Blog


Are we preparing our children to live the life God intended or are we training them to just be another employee?


If you would like to give your children the opportunity to experience fine art in their school week Fine Art Experience can help. Click here get your FREE painting lessons and to find out more about our program...

 

2 comments:

  1. Let's see if you are paying attention, can anyone find the misspelled word in the video?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I found it, but won't give it away....

    ReplyDelete

Who is the Artist

I was always told I was born with a crayon in my hand. As I was growing up in Houston, Texas, I was influenced by the beautiful paintings of my great aunt and the stunning oil paintings of Larry Dyke, a family friend and successful artist. Their influence inspired me to begin painting with oils in high school. Over the past two decades I have benefited from participating in workshops with other professional artists, buying and viewing instructional videos on the process of painting, and reading art books and magazines, continually learning and improving my techniques. As I gain this wealth of knowledge, I find joy in sharing it with others. In 2003 my wife and I embarked on the adventure of homeschooling when our first child turned six. Homeschooling has given me the opportunity to teach my children fine art as well as other local home school students. Seeing the children accomplish beautiful, award-winning paintings is very rewarding as their teacher! My intent is that wwwFineArtExperience.com is a place where like-minded families can come together and enjoy the course of learning art and develop the skills that naturally come through the process.