Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Are your art lessons right for you?



Do you do art? - Part 2 of 6 - Does it fit me! - This is the first of a series of interviews with real home school moms on how they integrate art into their week?

Being a home educator, your life is undergoing constant change and adjustment. Things that worked when your children were four and five may not work now that they are 11 and 12. It is important to recognize who you are and who your family is this year and make adjustments to align your school days with current needs.


Art is one of the subjects that you need to evaluate. Ask yourself these questions:

- Are you artistic?
- Do you enjoy doing projects with your children?
- Is your house setup to facilitate these projects?
- Are you so afraid of the mess that you don't do art?

Be honest with your answers. Avoiding art is not a solution. Understanding yourself and your family is key to your home school success!

Her are a few tips to make sure your art is in alignment with you and your families needs.

1) Do you and your children understand?

Pick age appropriate lessons. This will help your child execute a successful project and be proud of their work. If you don’t understand it they won’t either!

2) Are you organized?

The biggest reason I see for unsuccessful art lessons is a lack of organization. Let’s face it, if it is a huge hassle to setup and clean up you won’t do it! Get organized and art can be FUN!

3) Do you want to lead the lesson or be led?

You must think about how involved you want to be in the lessons. Some mothers want to get dirty with the children. Other moms want to have a self lead lesson, giving mom some freedom to focus on other things providing only a little oversight. Make sure the lessons you pick fit your needs.

4) Does your art lesson fit your schedule?

When will you do art and how long will it take? This is a huge one. If you only have 45 minutes and the lessons you pick take 2 hours…Houston, we have a problem. My bet is you never do art! Consider your schedule as you pick your art lessons, it will give you a solid foundation for success.

What ever you do don’t blow off art. The impact that art will have on your children will last a lifetime!


We are here to help you provide high quality art lessons to your children. Click here to find out more about the Fine Art Experience lesson.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome input! It really is so good to step back and evaluate what my needs are and what will meet those needs most effectively.

    ReplyDelete

Who is the Artist

I was always told I was born with a crayon in my hand. As I was growing up in Houston, Texas, I was influenced by the beautiful paintings of my great aunt and the stunning oil paintings of Larry Dyke, a family friend and successful artist. Their influence inspired me to begin painting with oils in high school. Over the past two decades I have benefited from participating in workshops with other professional artists, buying and viewing instructional videos on the process of painting, and reading art books and magazines, continually learning and improving my techniques. As I gain this wealth of knowledge, I find joy in sharing it with others. In 2003 my wife and I embarked on the adventure of homeschooling when our first child turned six. Homeschooling has given me the opportunity to teach my children fine art as well as other local home school students. Seeing the children accomplish beautiful, award-winning paintings is very rewarding as their teacher! My intent is that wwwFineArtExperience.com is a place where like-minded families can come together and enjoy the course of learning art and develop the skills that naturally come through the process.