Saturday, September 26, 2009

5 Ways To Ease The Art Mess


by Nikki Nixon

Yes, I am a messaphobic!  The thought of having to clean up messes scares me.  I seem to be cleaning messes all day long with 5 active children in the house. 



Do you do art? - Part 1 of 6 - The Mess! - This is the first of a series of interviews with real home school moms on how they integrate art into their week. How do you deal with the mess?

Proverbs 14:4 says, "Where no oxen are, the trough is clean; But much increase comes by the strength of an ox."   This nugget of wisdom is useful in so many situations.

I like to say, "Where no art projects are, the house is clean; But much increase comes from allowing the children to be creative!"

Here's five ways I've found to lessen the mess so we can all enjoy being creative.

1. Set the expectations.
- Teach the children how to set up and take down for each lesson. 

2. Understand how to care for the supplies.
-  Watch the Understanding Your Supplies videos on FineArtExperience.com.

3. Keep things organized.
-  Store supplies in buckets on bookshelves.

4. Make clean up easy.
-  Cover workspace with a shower liner.  When the lesson is done, fold it up and put it in the bucket.
-  Have the children wear paint shirts.  Store the shirts in the bucket.

5. Put it on the calendar.
-  Do art once a week.  Decide the day and time and stick to it. When the children want to do art at other times, remind them that art will be done at the scheduled time.

For more ideas and pictures join the FREE Fine Art Experience Community at FineArtExperience.ning.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who is the Artist

I was always told I was born with a crayon in my hand. As I was growing up in Houston, Texas, I was influenced by the beautiful paintings of my great aunt and the stunning oil paintings of Larry Dyke, a family friend and successful artist. Their influence inspired me to begin painting with oils in high school. Over the past two decades I have benefited from participating in workshops with other professional artists, buying and viewing instructional videos on the process of painting, and reading art books and magazines, continually learning and improving my techniques. As I gain this wealth of knowledge, I find joy in sharing it with others. In 2003 my wife and I embarked on the adventure of homeschooling when our first child turned six. Homeschooling has given me the opportunity to teach my children fine art as well as other local home school students. Seeing the children accomplish beautiful, award-winning paintings is very rewarding as their teacher! My intent is that wwwFineArtExperience.com is a place where like-minded families can come together and enjoy the course of learning art and develop the skills that naturally come through the process.