Saturday, October 17, 2009

Is your art curriculum too complicated?


View the video above

Do you do art? - Part 4 of 6 - Is your art curriculum too complicated! - This is the fourth of a series of interviews with real home school moms on how they integrate art into their week?


Have you ever had that “I Don’t Get It” feeling? I know I certainly have. There is so much information out there on art that it is difficult to make sense of it all.

Your homeschool week is hard enough. Don’t complicate it more with an art program that is difficult to understand! Evaluate what your goals are for adding art to your week. Make sure the lessons you choose meet your goals and are simple to execute.
KEEP IT SIMPLE! I cannot stress this enough. If you do not understand the lessons your children won’t either.

If you are looking for a solution for your weekly art lessons, Fine Art Experience can help. We provide interactive online painting lessons for the home school family. Come check out how we can help you simplify your art lessons and increase the results. How does a self-directed art lesson sound to you?

So here is a question for you, what are your goals for art in your week? What results do you desire?

Post your responses here and let’s talk about it!

P.S. And I guess I am a consistent misspeller! In my haste to get these videos done I failed to catch that college is misspelled as "collage". I guess that is why I am teaching Art and not English!

2 comments:

  1. My biggest goal is to consistently do an art lesson once a week. Slow and steady wins the race! I also like for the children to be able to learn their lesson independent of me. It is great when mommy is not needed! The result that I want is for my children to gain the experience and knowledge of painting. It will open their eyes to new things and allow them to see the world from a different point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like you last statement "It will open their eyes to new things and allow them to see the world from a different point of view"

    Through the process of learning art, your mind is trained to see differently. You learn to view things and ask better questions. In order for a painter to paint a subject he must first understand the subject. What shapes, values and colors are in the subject and how they interact. This is critical thinking skills. Learning to see the world from a different point of view.

    ReplyDelete

Who is the Artist

I was always told I was born with a crayon in my hand. As I was growing up in Houston, Texas, I was influenced by the beautiful paintings of my great aunt and the stunning oil paintings of Larry Dyke, a family friend and successful artist. Their influence inspired me to begin painting with oils in high school. Over the past two decades I have benefited from participating in workshops with other professional artists, buying and viewing instructional videos on the process of painting, and reading art books and magazines, continually learning and improving my techniques. As I gain this wealth of knowledge, I find joy in sharing it with others. In 2003 my wife and I embarked on the adventure of homeschooling when our first child turned six. Homeschooling has given me the opportunity to teach my children fine art as well as other local home school students. Seeing the children accomplish beautiful, award-winning paintings is very rewarding as their teacher! My intent is that wwwFineArtExperience.com is a place where like-minded families can come together and enjoy the course of learning art and develop the skills that naturally come through the process.